Sunday, January 2, 2011

Viewing OSM tiles using an iOS 4.2 device

I have not been able to get the slippymap used by sites like http://www.openstreetmap.org to play well with my iPad.  The slippymap provided by OpenLayers doesn't seem to recognize the touch gestures for zooming and panning.  I noticed, however, that the Google Maps API does recognize the touch gestures.  So when I saw in "OpenStreetMap: Using and Enhancing the Free Map of the World" the example to load OSM tiles into the GMaps API, I thought I would give it a try.

You can see the results here.  Nothing special, but now at least I can navigate the OSM data easily with my iPad.  The example I am using makes use of tiles that I am building for a bicycle route map of Boulder, CO, USA.  It is my first rendering project and I am using Maperitive for it.  I will post more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment